Yes, I think I just might do this. What is the WarCraft Ironman Challenge? It's an informal challenge to yourself, if you follow these rules:
- Only White or Grey gear. No Heirlooms of any kind.
- No transfer of gear, items, or money from any other character (yours or others).
- No gear enhancements, including gems, enchanting, and reforging. Class abilities are allowed (eg. Rogue poisons, Shaman imbues).
- No specialization, talent points, or glyphs. No pet talent points.
- No professions or secondary skills, except for First Aid.
- No potions, flasks, or elixirs except for required quest items.
- No food buffs or other external buffs (including buffs from items and other players).
- No groups or assistance from other characters, even if not grouped.
- No dungeons, raids, battlegrounds, or arenas.
- No guilds, except for level 1 guilds created specifically for the Ironman Challenge.
- No Refer-A-Friend.
- No addons which assist in combat and/or leveling (eg. leveling guides, Ovale).
- THE BIG ONE: No deaths. Character death for any reason disqualifies the character
- All class abilities, racials, and personal buffs.
- All mounts, bags, and non-combat pets.
- All quests, including holiday events and dailies (unless prohibited by some other rule, eg. Fishing and Cooking dailies).
I tried this with an undead hunter (of course a hunter). Undead because that way I wouldn't be tempted to get help from my guild. And the only people who'd even know I was there would be RealID friends. Yay!
Unfortunately, I got 'er to level four before being killed—by being distracted by texting someone about the Ironman Challenge. Ah, irony. So, I deleted that character.
Then I rolled a blood elf hunter and...wait a minute...
If I really wanted to Ironman it out, what I should do is roll a mage! Since you can't pick talents you can't get a water elemental or anyone to tank. And there's no self-heal! No nothing! Hmm. Maybe. OR a rogue, on account I don't know rogues.
Anyway, I'm totally down with this fun diversion!